Friday, July 24, 2015

Hello, Luke. I Am Your Father, Atticus--First family changes baby's name from Atticus.

Okay. The first one has happened. After the publication of Go Set a Watchman, where the heroic, saintly Atticus Finch, of To Kill A Mockingbird, joins the Klan, (briefly) and foments rebellion against integration or even the NAACP providing legal service to the grandson of his beloved family housekeeper, Calpurnia.

David and Christen Epstein have changed their baby, Atticus' name to Lucas, Luke for short. Big sister, Ayla, is pretty confused, but they're hoping that neither will get a complex about it.

http://www.people.com/article/parents-change-son-atticus-name-go-set-watchman

I get this. I totally do. We adopted a dog once who we thought was named Tonto. That was going to have to change. And when one of my great-grandparents got super sick, her parents changed her name, so as to confuse the angel of death. (Angel flies down, looking for "Mary, Mary, Mary--who's this? Oh, that's Jane. Nope." And flies away.) It worked, so who am I to argue?

And Harpo Marx was born Adolf, but changed his name to Arthur.

Still, really? Because there are two versions of a fictional character? Oh, please.

I always did wonder at all the little Atticus' running around. Had that been my set of mind, I would have named a child Amasa, (after Harper Lee's real father, and the model for both Atticuses.) And then, we would have been fine.
Share this post via:
}}

No comments:

Post a Comment